UK Senior or Specialist Worker Visa

A Complete Guide to the UK Senior or Specialist Worker Visa Requirements

The Senior or Specialist Worker visa allows employees from overseas companies to stay in the UK while working at their employer’s UK branch. The employees have to do an eligible job from the list issued by the Home Office and meet certain requirements to apply for the visa. 

With the Senior or Specialist Worker Visa, you can stay in the UK for 5 years or the time stated on your Certificate of sponsorship (CoS) plus 14 days, whichever is shorter. If you want to extend your visa, you can, but the maximum stay allowed is 5 years in any 6-year period for workers who are paid less than £73,900 a year, or 9 years in any 10-year period for workers paid £73,900 a year or more. This visa does not lead to settlement or Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).

If you need more information on making your UK Senior or Specialist Worker visa application, contact us at +44 20 3151 9366.

What Are the Eligibility Requirements for the Senior or Specialist Worker Visa?

To apply for the Senior or Specialist Worker visa, you have to satisfy the following requirements: 

  • Work for an organisation that has been approved by the Home Office as a registered UK sponsor 
  • Have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) from a UK business detailing the work you will be doing in the UK
  • Have a job that is on the Home Office list of eligible occupations
  • Be paid at least £42,400 per year by your employer, or the “going rate” for your job, depending on which is the higher of the two

Employees who earn less than £73,900 a year must have worked for their overseas employee for at least 12 months. If you are currently earning £73,900 a year or more, then there is no minimum time requirement you have to fulfil. 

What Are the Documents Needed for the Senior or Specialist Worker Visa?

When applying for the Senior or Specialist Worker visa, there are a number of documents you will need to provide, including: 

  • A Certificate of Sponsorship reference number, which your employer should provide you with. Alongside the reference name, you should find the name of your employer and their sponsor licence number
  • A valid passport to prove your identity
  • The title of your job, your annual salary and your job’s occupation code 
  • Evidence proving you have at least £1,270 in your bank account to support yourself once you are in the UK. If your sponsor is supporting you, it should state this on your certificate of sponsorship 
  • Evidence to show your relationship with your partner or children if they are applying alongside you
  • Tuberculosis test results if required for your country 

In addition to these documents, you may be asked to provide evidence showing you have worked for your overseas employer for at least 12 months before your application date if you earn less than £73,900 a year. If the work involves researching a sensitive subject at PhD level or higher, you may need to provide a valid ATAS certificate. 

How Can Yes UK Immigration Help You With the Senior or Specialist Worker Visa?

Bespoke Advice

The expert advice we give is always tailored to our clients’ individual situations to ensure they understand all the options available to them. 


We are efficient and focused on getting the best outcome for you. We will go above and beyond to ensure that your application meets the Home Office requirements.  

Robust Support

Our team aims to support and guide you throughout the entire process and we will not submit an application on your behalf unless we believe that it is solid. 


Speak to our experts!

We have a wealth of knowledge in
the entire range of immigration!

We have a wealth of knowledge in the entire range of immigration!

judi bola

judi bola

slot thailand